Bats are incredible creatures. Below are some fun bat facts so you can learn more about these interesting animals!
- Bats are flying mammals.
- While others can glide, bats are the only mammals capable of continued flight.
- There are over 1000 different bat species.
- Bats are nocturnal (active at night).
Brown Long-Eared Bat
- Bats ‘see’ in the dark using a special skill called echolocation. Bats make noises and wait for the sound waves to bounce back off objects (an echo), if it doesn’t bounce back then they can safely fly forward. They can tell the distance of various objects by how quickly the sound waves bounce back to them.
- Most bats feed on insects, while others eat fruit, fish or even blood!
- There are 3 species of vampire bats which feed solely on blood.
- Some bats live by themselves while others live in caves with thousands of other bats.
- Bats can live for over 20 years.
- Pteropus bats (also known as flying foxes or fruit bats) are the largest in the world.
- Their wing is very much like a human arm and hand, except it has a thin membrane of skin (called the patagium) extending between the “hand” and the body, and between each finger bone. Bats can move the wing like a hand, essentially “swimming” through the air.
Posted: 28th August 2019 By: Tara Jones
Here at Bodmin Jail we are passionate about helping the environment in any way we can!
We have dedicated recycling bins and we use eco-friendly cleaning products throughout the whole business and we are proud to be able to say that we use the Bidfood Pro Green Environmental Cleaning Range.
Pro Green cleaning products are filled with environmentally friendly ingredients and are designed to protect human health and not damage the environment and water courses. We use them to limit our influence on global pollution and environment degradation.
BidFood Pro Green Environmental Cleaning Range facts:
- Biodegradable to European standards
- They use raw materials mainly from renewable resources including vegetable derived surfactants and betaines (the soap like compound that grabs at the dirt)
- Spray flask packaging contains recycled plastic
- Reusable and recyclable triggers and sprays
- Septic tank safe
- Natural fruit fragrances
- Phosphate free
- No unnecessary ingredients and no harmful additives
- Not tested on animals
- Recyclable and refillable packaging
Both Bodmin Jail and Bidfood promote the use of concentrated products, and refillable flasks and containers, to diminish the impact on the environment and help reduce landfill. Also, by purchasing our cleaning products at the same time as our food order we are cutting down on deliveries to the Jail therefore saving paper, fuel and time.
The packaging is all designed to ease recycling, for example using recyclable plastic labels instead of paper, no separation needed. Most of their cartons use recycled board, and they stack pallets to maximise delivery capacity and cut down on the number of deliveries required.
All these little things have a big impact on our environment and the world we live in today, and for our future generations. Helping the environment has been growing in importance lately and it is up to big companies to set the way; by reducing traffic on the road and fuel use, by using recyclable and reusable containers and packaging, by using products that are less harsh and more sustainable we are doing our bit.
“There is a very close synergy between the sustainability ethos of Bidfood and Bodmin Jail. We are both passionate about taking care of our environment and the installation of Pro Green Chemical Systems throughout the Jail strengthens the relationship. We already supply the Jail with compostable packaging and paper straws. These state of the art Cleaning Systems are a new innovation and are just as effective as non-sustainable products. As the Account Manager looking after Bodmin Jail for Bidfood I look forward to introducing our next environmentally friendly range.”
Andy Perryman, Account Manager, Bidfood
Posted: 21st August 2019 By: Tara Jones